This collection of every known commercially issued Mahler recording from 1903-40 is one of the most important Mahler issues in recent decades and is very strongly recommended indeed.” — Robert Matthew-Walker, International Record Review, Dec. 2013
Epic… Excellent transfers and exhaustive notes.
This impressive collection of early — very early — Mahler recordings includes symphonies led by the likes of Bruno Walter, Dimitri Mitropoulos, Eugene Ormandy and Willem Mengelberg, often in interpretations more willful and changeable than we are used to today.
– Zachary Woolfe, “2014 Holiday Gift Guide: Best Music,” The New York Times
- The most comprehensive collection ever assembled of Mahler’s music as issued on 78s between 1903 and 1940 — every such recording listed in Péter Fülöp’s Mahler Discography
- New transfers by Ward Marston and Mark Obert-Thorn
- Detailed notes on the music, the recording artists, and revelatory information about performances of Mahler’s music prior to World War II by Sybille Werner
- Full texts and translations
- Super-value price
Produced by Gene Gaudette
Special thanks to Henry-Louis de La Grange
CD Edition: Urlicht AudioVisual UAV-5980
No longer available, limited to an edition of 1000 copies